The overall role of a treasurer is to maintain an overview of Transform Work UK’s financial affairs, ensuring its viability and ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
- General Responsibilities of the Treasurer
- Take responsibility for reviewing and monitoring Transform Work UK’s financial systems and controls as outlined in the Finance and Audit Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure that record-keeping and accounts meet the conditions of funders and/or statutory bodies
- Liaise with designated staff about financial matters
- Set up appropriate systems and internal controls for book-keeping, payments, lodgements and petty cash
- Ensure everyone handling money keeps proper records and documentation
- Ensure proper records are kept of fixed assets
- Ensure required insurances are in place.
- Advise on the charity’s reserves and investment policy.
- Liaise with the Chair and appointed accountants to ensure that publications such as annual reports and accounts, and their dissemination comply with the charity’s governing document and statutory requirements.
- Ensure that people entitled to do so can inspect company records and accounts
- Attend Board meetings
- Specific Tasks
- Pay of invoices and produce Transform Work UK invoices
- Reimburse expenses incurred by staff and volunteers
- Make payments into bank account
- Oversee communications with bank
- Correspond with donors
- Update and print records to meet record keeping and accounts requirements
- Obtain Board approval for expenditure over £100.
- Liaise with Stewardship re payroll for one part-time employee: salary, employers tax, NI, annual P60
- Reconcile; bank statement with excel spreadsheet (we have two accounts, periodically transfer monies to main account)
- Prepare financial updates for Board meeting and as requested including for AGM
- Provide pension (True Potential) monthly update for one employee
- Collate monthly statements for Stewardship, Charities Aid Foundation and Charities Trust giving accounts
- Make Gift Aid application to HMRC (including updating gift aid list of donors with last payment date and amount for each donor)
- Provide accountant with paper copies of all financial transactions for the annual accounts
- Submit annual report and accounts to HMRC, Companies House and Charities Commission
- Arrange and pay insurance
- Comply with the Pension Regulator and Gift Aid auditors when required
- Personal Qualities and Skills
- Good working knowledge of Excel Spreadsheets
- Experience of financial controls and account-keeping
- Ability to spot opportunities for improving efficiencies in processes
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A willingness to be contacted on an ad hoc basis
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
- Good time-keeping
- Committed Christian and able to sign the Transform Work UK Statement of Faith
- Experience of fundraising
The current Treasurer has been devoting 20 hours per month but this has included activities to streamline processes and create efficiencies, including movement from paper-based to digital systems and the outsourcing of certain services such as payroll. The ambition of the Transform Work UK Board is that this commitment should transition to an average of 12 hours per month, once simplification and streamlining has been achieved.